About Us

My photo
Fort Hood, TX
Our family is traveling through life - sometimes at extraordinarily high speeds - it's good to stop and record the roses and thorns along the way...

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bittersweet

I have been looking forward to this week for SO long...why is it that I suddenly have mixed feelings?

We lived in Monterey before here, and as we drove down from Seattle and saw Monterey Bay and the ocean I just knew that I would be VERY sad to drive away from there...and I was...it was beautiful, lots to see and do, my ideal climate, and I had great friends. What was there NOT to love.

As we drove across Texas...miles and miles..hours and hours...from El Paso to Killeen I had this sinking feeling and a voice in the back of my head telling me that I would not be sad when I drove away in 3 years...if we couldn't, by some lucky chance, find a way to leave sooner.

I decided that I needed to put my chin up and make the most of it. And I did try...for awhile, but Texas turned out to be a huge challenge for me. I had difficulties in every aspect - I am definitely out of my element here. I just don't fit in. In the end, I just ended up fighting the urge to count the days until we could drive away...some days I was more successful than others...

Fast forward to today - suddenly, leaving is not so easy - while I am thrilled and excited to travel Europe, to be able to put my kids back in school, and begin my husband's new Chaplain career (not too mention enjoy the paycheck that comes with it!), just to name a few, I find that there ARE things that I will miss about Texas.
THE WEATHER:
I have actually become very fond of the weather. I've acclimated - even to the heat of summer! Last summer I had to go out of the house to warm up because I was chilled at the 73 degree house temperature!
THE FAMILIARITY
The up-side of moving to a new place is exciting for exploring and learning new places, but there is something to be said for knowing when Little League sign-ups are, and which grocery store has the best produce, and who's a good babysitter, and where the Costco is, and how to get around the traffic jam...
MY FRIENDS
But mostly, I have realized that I have made some really good friends while I've been here. We're finally putting together regular girls nights and girls chats - it took 3 years to finally get a schedule with friends that worked and now I'm leaving to a new place and rebuilding the network...hopefully, with each move this will get easier as we find our paths intersecting now and then and when we move to new places we find we already see a familiar face!

4 comments:

  1. You know, I moved so much growing up, and I learned over and over that you can bloom where you are planted! I missed something--or someone--from everywhere I lived. I'm excited for your new adventure! Good luck with the move....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that we just met, but I will still miss you....the friendship that we may have had and had started to explore. But, being in the Chaplain arena myself with my hubby, we may see you again sometime. Take care and have fun in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you in your move! I can't wait to hear about your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nate just said to me today how much being able to email Joey has ment to him and that he wants to go to Germany, he even said "can we get a babysitter and go to Germany just the two of us to visit?" So.............are we allowed to come? I wonder what plane tickets cost, hee hee We miss you already (as you know by me calling you, I will try to limit it) and Alison asks almost daily to play with Taya and has Taya gone to Germany yet?

    ReplyDelete